Tuesday, September 11, 2018

We Almost Have An Oldies Station Again!

I was a mite on the excited side yesterday when I heard a new radio station in the area touting its oldies format.

We haven’t had a good oldie station since 98.1 changed its format to what I don’t even know, listening to them.

So I gave 101.1 a whirl this morning.


So far, the jury is out.

The story I saw touted their mix of “oldies” from the ‘50s to the ‘80s. As I listened this morning on the way to work, they played four ‘80s song and one from the early ‘60s.

There is a crapton of bad music out there from any decade or generation. But the ‘80s. There’s a special crapton of music from the ‘80s.

Sunglasses at Night, 1984. I blame you, Canada. It’s got the synth. It’s got the stupid lyrics. It’s got the potential to be overplayed. Ick.

Any Way You Want It, 1980. For this, it sounds like we can almost blame the Irish. Oh, the movies. The movies used this song and loved it and loved it and loved it to death.



Where were all those drinks coming from?

Their one nod to the oldies I hoped they would play: 1961’s Run Around Sue, by Dion (after he split with the Belmonts, leaving him, apparently, looking for a new girl and a backup group to which to append his name).

So yeah, an oldie, but not necessarily a goodie.

I had to listen to all of these marvies in a five-song set this morning.

Maybe they’ll be better on the drive home . . .

NOTE: I don’t mind at all if you, dear reader, love these songs. That is your right. I’m merely saying here that I don’t like them. So take no offense, please.

No comments: