Thursday, September 19, 2019

Read Everything. Write Everything, Part 2

Today I stumbled across this.

The topic immediately caught my attention – I’m kind of a fan of aviation, aviation disasters in particular. And then I saw the author – William Langewiesche. I’ve read him before and know him to be knowledgeable on technical issues and an excellent writer to boot.

So I read.

And read.

And read.

I don’t pretend to understand everything, but I read enough to get curious about a few other things he mentions. Such as “Cockroach Corner.” That’s an appellation, as far as I can tell, given to a collection of cut-rate passenger and freight airlines airplane leasing agents, and airplane parts distributors that call a little corner of Miami International Airport home. It’s also called “Collision Corner.” There’s not a lot about either on the Internet, but I read a few things by the deeper aviation enthusiasts to know it’s a place where you can go see the history of aviation still trying to hold together and make people money.

I can find a United Press International article from 1980 that uses the term.

There’s also a blog about “Corrosion Corner,” but it appears to be pretty shiny about the place. Lots of McDonnell Douglas aircraft.

This one is a bit more, ahem, honest.

What does this have to do with me?

Well, I’m writing this book about a guy who makes his own spaceship, flies to Saturn’s moon Iapetus, and settles there. I’ve dodged the question thusfar about how he got there.

Now I see a way, or at least a starting place. A space exploration equivalent to Cockroach Corner. Sounds like it’s got a lot of potential. Potential for humor as well as drama.

So it’s important, boys and girls, for wannabe writers to read a lot. You never know where your inspiration is going to come from.

No comments: