Friday, November 8, 2019

Don't Lie to Me [Politicians of Every Stripe Writhe in Pain]

Going to say two things here:

1. I’m in favor of nationalized health care, or Medicare for all, or whatever else you want to call it.
2. Anyone who believes this can be paid for without a middle-class tax hike that will exceed the amount the middle class is currently paying for private- or employer-supported health insurance is selling you something.

I’ve read the reports and studies, saying Medicare for all would cost this nation between $15 trillion to $40 trillion over the first ten years. I tend to believe the numbers will be on the higher end.

Those telling you otherwise are selling something.

Or they’re just bad at math.

By all means, the current medical system in this country is trash. But don’t try to fix it by telling lies. Or producing some kind of magical unicorn math that says I’m going to get a bigger something by paying less for it. Because when you tell lies you tell me you’re more worried about getting elected than fixing the problem. And if you’re more worried about getting elected than fixing the problem, when it comes time, after the election, that you get to fix the problem and have to backtrack on the lies you’ve told, well, you’re a lying liar whose lying pants are on fire.

And do not, for the love of Michael Scott, tell me I’m going to get “a raise” if your version of Medicare for all is approved. That’s a bigger whopper than telling me my taxes aren’t going to go up. Because some way or another, no matter how innocent or misdirected your motives are, taxing “other people” to pay for my healthcare just isn’t going to work.

Single-payer healthcare works in other countries. And their middle-class taxes are higher than our middle-class taxes. If your magical unicorn thinking worked, they’d be doing the same magical unicorn thinking elsewhere. They are not doing that.



No comments: