Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Ignorance is Bliss. Especially About Epstein

“I am an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, and smothered in secret sauce.”

~ Jimmy James, NewsRadio

I have to grapple with one fact: Some of my Facebook associates could appear on Spot the Looney.

I have to be careful saying this, because they’re otherwise amiable people, easy to get along with and reasonably funny, intelligent people.

But let me also say this: Hoooooo baby.

I have friends of varying political stripes. Some whose only Facebook purpose, it seems is to berate others for not being as holy as they are. Others suddenly take dives into extremist territory (right and left) that make me want to press the buzzer, because, you know. . .


I am somewhat left of center. Getting moreso as I get older. Yet I also despair at the disrespect for the office of president when occupied by a person I didn’t elect and don’t think much of. I also despair at a do-nothing-but-politics legislative branch. And a politico-media complex that would give Dwight David Eisenhower a fit of the dry-heave heebie-jeebies.

It’s tempting at time to take the stand of one Homer J. Simpson when he’s busy drinking new Lemon-Time dish soap:



I’d like to see an end to the Jeffrey Epstein memes, is what I’m saying.

Yes, yes. Head in the sand as She Who Shall Not Be Named roams the countryside, killing opponents and other ne’er-do-wells with impunity. The memes seem to imply some magical power, that saying them will make She into a puppet, like Count Bloodcount, at the mercy of Bugs Bunny’s “magic woids and phrases.”



What matters most, of course, is not the truth. Because both extremes are acutely allergic to it. What matters is the dischord, the knowing that we may not necessarily be right but the others are CERTAINLY wrong.

I won’t engage in any popular Two Minute Hate unless it’s against slow drivers.

But that’s easy to say. Less easy to practice, as Orwell says:

“The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in.”



Not that I think any of my Facebook associates are Nazis. Just that some tunes are pretty catchy.

What keeps me from joining in?

Blissful ignorance.

No comments: