Saturday, December 12, 2020

Relief, from God and Otherwise

Got a letter from the Jehovah’s Witnesses this week.

Well, a Jehovah’s Witness.

Specifically, Annette.

She sounds really nice. Sincere. Hopeful and full of Christlike love.

I’m glad she sent a letter, rather than arriving at my door, so I wouldn’t have to be awkward and say no thank you, maybe after taking a tract, then close the door. In her face.

I get it, though. Covid means anything door-to-door is going to be frowned on. And it’s winter.

But I also get it. I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and spent two years doing the door-to-door thing in France of all places. I’ve been on the other end of those awkward nos. Even a lot of hostile nos. And a hell of a lot of stony silence.

So power, sister in Christ. Thanks for your message which reminded me that no matter what happens on this planet, God is indeed in charge.

Recently, a friend reminded me that a while back, Russell M. Nelson, president of our church, asked for us to fast and pray for relief from the virus.

Since then, infection rates and deaths have shot up.

Things have gotten worse.

But this same friend also reminded me that hey, we have multiple covid vaccines in the wings, with efficacies approaching one hundred percent. That is relief, he said.

God is indeed in charge.

(And no, Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t oppose vaccinations. They did, but in 1952, official objections to vaccines were dropped.)

Science and religion. Working together in my life, and in my friend’s, and in Annette’s, to show us that God is in charge. Relief does come when we ask for it, though not necessarily, perhaps, in the way we’d like it to come.

Also, religion and religion. Getting along together quite nicely, thanks for asking.

Elder Patrick Kearon spoke Dec. 1, 2020, at a devotional at Ensign College in Utah, and advised those listening to learn about each others' beliefs and to get away from the position of only listening to ourselves. He said:

"We must find others with whom we haven't always agreed and get closer to them and find common cause with them, find things that we can unite around and build a better town, better city, better world with them, and build happier families at the heart of all of that.

In the 111th section of the Doctrine & Covenants, there's a beautiful verse. In the 11th verse, it says, 'Therefore, be wise as serpents' — an interesting choice of words. Then it goes on to say, 'Therefore, be ye as wise as serpents and yet without sin; and I will order all things for your good, as fast as ye can receive them. Amen.'"

I’d love for covid to just go away. Now. I went Christmas shopping in my face mask today and hated every minute of it when I was in the stores. My wife and I would love to go to a restaurant and just sit an eat, like in the good ol’ days.

But that is not the way. I know for one if I don’t struggle, I don’t learn. And if having to wear a mask is the extent of struggle that God has thusfar asked of me, I have gotten off easy. It’s not the extent, though. The rest I keep to myself.

Or give to the Lord, as Annette suggests.

So thanks, Annette, for your letter.

Here it is, if you’d like to read it:

Hello,

I hope that this letter finds you and your family doing well. In light of current events, I am unable to visit you personally. Through his word, the Bible, God provides hope and promises that soon He “will wipe all tears from your eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain.” (Revelation 21:3-4)

Soon, that hope of a better future here on earth, will be realized. I invite you to visit our website, jw.org, where you can learn how the Bible’s wisdom and help you and your family to get the best out of life now and to gain a new hope for the future.

You will find articles, videos, music, even an interactive Bible study free of charge. I sincerely hope that you and your family stay safe and benefit from this information,

Sincerely,

Annette

PS: You may contact me at the above address.

That’s a little bit of relief sent my way, Annette. Thank you.




No comments: