Monday, May 2, 2022

The Terrible Pun


Gavin quietly sipped his lemonade. Mine, I was saving it. To drink it here as we sat on the wall, looking over the pasture, meant with my super-sniffer the lemonade would have a tinge of manure to it.

"Looking at this makes me sleepy," he said, taking another sip. He waved his hand expansively toward the field, sloping down to the river. A few cows stared at us from far off, alternating between watching and nibbling. They seemed undisturbed by the smell.

Movement caught my eye. In the grass, not far from where we sat, a rabbit.

Gavin saw it too. He sat his lemonade down on a smooth stone, dropped off the wall and crouched.

The rabbit looked at him, but didn't stop its chewing.

Gavin moved slowly through the grass. The rabbit kept an eye on him, chewing, chewing.

Gavin reached out, grabbed the rabbit by the scruff of its neck, and pulled to to his face. Then slumped over, releasing the rabbit, which tore off.

I leapt off the wall and crouched next to him. He groaned.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Gavin yawned. "Oh, I'm fine." He sat up. "But now I know why I was so sleepy."

I looked at him.

"That was the Ether Bunny," he said.

I shoved him over into a cowpie. Why are we friends? I'll never know.

No comments: