Friday, July 22, 2022

Not Helping, Turnitin

 


So, what's more important? Confirming plagiarism or protecting privacy?

Turnitin, the goofball service my university employs to detect plagiarism, is erring on the side of privacy.

Problem is, I don't exactly trust Turnitin to get things right. They might flag something as plagiarized, but it's up to the wet robots -- us instructors -- to look at what they've flagged to make that judgment call.

With the veil of privacy pulled down, I can't do that verification. Without the verification, I can't say for sure my student plagiarized.

They do offer the option of contacting the university through their service to see if I can get access to the paper Turnitin flagged, but I have no idea how long that'll take, particularly with a foreign university.

I don't suspect this student is plagiarizing. What I'm seeing is about 98% inadvertent. I just don't see the point of working with a service that can't necessarily provide the goods.

No comments: