Friday, July 29, 2022

Climb Aboard the All-Bran Fiber Optic Wagon

 


So today, the city came and finished the installation of our new fiber optic internet connection. Exciting times. That means I spent a good portion of my day trying to get the new wifi router connected and our service started.

Good news on that front -- though the city's instructions need a bit of work, the new fiber connection is working.

First of all, let's look at speed.

Here's what Michelle's computer was getting with our DSL connection, via wifi:


And this is is what I'm getting on our fiber connection via wifi:


Not exactly the leap in speed I was hoping for, but still it's a great leap forward on what we were getting from our previous provider.

My work computer, however, has to have a wired connection. That meant drilling a hole through the floor to sling an ethernet cable through, and I wasn't too sure I wanted to do that. I actually ended up drilling three holes -- took the last one to finally get a hole all the way through. I'll have to go in with some carpet plugs and do a little repair before Michelle gets home.

But the wired connection works. Here's the speed:

A significant bump on the upload, which is kinda cool. So I think I'm going to get more ethernet cable and drop another line into the study so I can have two wired connections here. Seems worth it, and since I've already got the holes drilled, it'll only be a matter of pulling more wire and tidying up the mess.

We have some bills to settle for the installation. The service itself from Fybercom is $9.99 a month, and we have to pay the city $16.50 a month for the infrastructure. Then there's the matter of paying for the local improvement district that brought fiber to the neighborhood to the tune of about $2,000 which we can pay as a lump sum or over time. On the surface that looks like a lot, but considering when we moved into town they said it would cost about $20,000 if we wanted fiber brought to the house, we'll take this deal.

No comments: