Saturday, April 6, 2024

"Dear God, Give A Bald Guy A Break"

One of my sisters died this week. Many prayers were said on her behalf. I gave her a priesthood blessing just prior to the crisis that led to her death, and I've been pondering many a thing since.

Part of the pondering: Was I listening to the spirit, or saying things I wanted to come to pass? The more I think, the more I'm unsure I even remember what I said in that blessing. I'm sure there were some of the typical bromides. I don't know. I wish I could remember.

I think I mentioned asking God to help her doctors know how to care for her. I know we saw that time and again this past month we were in the hospital, so maybe there's a ray of hope for my faith and my feeble grasp on priesthood power.

What Elder Holland said today in Conference is not new, of course, but hit me like a ton of bricks:

“It’s for reasons known only to God why prayers are answered differently than we hope, but I promise you they are heard, and they are answered according to His unfailing love and cosmic timetable.”

Then there was the admonition to pray out loud when possible. I can't remember who said it; I'll have to look again. That hit me too. Maybe articulting our prayers out loud gets away from the bromide side of our faith?

UPDATE: That was Elder Holland as well.

No comments: