Tuesday, September 10, 2024

It's Like the Scammers Aren't Even Trying Anymore

So I got an email from Coinbase telling me -- breathlessly of course -- the following:

Your account will be closed within 24 hours

Dear Costomer,
Our team detected that you used other people's data when registering a Coinbase account.

The activities you carry out violate our terms and agreements.
Therefore, we will close your account in the next 24 hours. Immediately verify via the link below and use your personal data to repair your Coinbase account.


I, of course, being a suspicous jerk, know immediately this is a scam.

There's the misspelling of "costomer," combined with the lack of personalization and the litany of subtle grammar errors in the message that follows.

There's the email coming from an "info@" address connected to a university hospital in Pittsburgh.

There's the urgency to repair my account, and the contradiction that repairing my account will assuage their accusation that I used someone else's data to create my account in the first place.

Their landing page looks like this:


Coinbase's login page looks like this:


I can see how someone in a hurry might be fooled by this. But see the "suspicious jerk" thing I mentioned earlier, so I'm wary.

Also, I don't have a Coinbase account.

No comments: