Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Everyone Can Relax. I've Found A Car.


Michelle called as I was driving home from work with an overdue report on the state of our 2005 Honda Pilot, which I took to our mechanic about three weeks ago for an assessment.

I knew with it having 264,000 miles on it that it was likely there was some work that needed doing, but what I got was a list not unlike what Ray Stantz delivered as he drove the proto-Ecto 1 up to the fire station.

Here's what's been done:

Front and rear brakes replaced.

Some front bearings and bushings replaced.

Transmission flushed.

What needs to be done:

Wheel alignment.

Likely four new tires.

Then returned to the mechanic for the following:

Timing belt kit, including water pump.

More front end bushings and bearings.

Rear shocks.

So far, only about $1,300, which seems a lot for a car that old, but I've been watching the used car market and that seems like a bargain if we can squeeze another 50,000 or so miles out of the thing.

Still, I should probably get my tools and cigarettes out to see if I can do some of the work myself.



No comments: