A few caveats:
There may be other James Kearls, but in looking at the timeline and genealogy, I can confirm James Kearl lived in the area Kimball lived in. They're also contemporaries, so the chances of this being my relative are good.
The event itself is not that exciting; I just thought it was fun than an ancestor's name popped out of the book at me.
The story:
About 1887 my brother Elias and I loaded a sleigh with provisions and started for Evanston, Wyoming, enroute to Salt Lake City, where Elias was to attend the Utah Legislature as a representative from Rich County. We took our mother along. Elias was on crutches, as he had a severe cut on the foot. We had four fine horses. It was snowing, but we were accustomed to snow storms. We left our home in Meadowville and, after we passed through Lake Town, we wended our way to the canyon. A severe blizzard, with a terrifying wind, set in. We plowed our way through banks of snow. We reached the top of the mountain; night set in and we discovered we were traveling in a circle as the horses could not face the storm. We found a cabin, owned by our friend James Kearl, and entered. Tearing up the floor, we built a fire and camped for the night.
I can't imagine James Kearl was all that happy to know a cabin he owned lost a floor to some wanderers, but I'm certain he wouldn't have mind as it likely saved their lives. They did eventually reach Salt Lake, after other adventures involving other ranchers and other cabins.

No comments:
Post a Comment