Thursday, December 13, 2007

Going nuclear

I like to watch the rabbits that congregate outside the building I work in. They nibble on the grass. They sit fat in the wind, their fur ruffling in the breeze, staring back at me through the window. They're pretty sure no one is going to bother them.

They live under the building I work in, with the marmots. At least I think the marmots are still here. Maybe they hibernate, but they were here all summer.

They're probably all slightly radioactive. It's the nature of the place I work -- a radioactive waste landfill. I work on the paperwork here, with a team of writers. We don't get out of the building much, whci is a good thing. Because of the cold, not because of the radioactivity.

I see nothing wrong with building nuclear power plants; it always surprises me that this area, with its long history with the nuclear industry, is not already powered by nuclear energy. The waste we deal with here is stuff left over from research and weapons production, not nuclear energy. This stuff can be managed correctly. It's a lot more containable and concentrated than the CO put out by fossil fuel power plants. But don't listen to me. This is one man's opinion.

No comments: