Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I am here but no one cares who I am

I feel better having said that. I face facts: I am blogging on a site that's sneered at by other bloggers, those who believe they're geniuses and those who are. I don't care. I've just sat on the sdielines too long and, to quote Homer Simpson (must get pop culture references in here somewhere, blogger's rule #1,298) "I saw an overcrowded marketplace and said, 'Mee too!'" So here I am.

Who am I? Admit it, you don't care. But just in case:
  • Brian Davidson, fat and happy.
  • Technical writer at the Idaho National Laboratory.
  • Washed-up journalist.
  • Father.
  • Student at Utah State University, working on a Masters Degree in technical writing.
  • Sim City 4 player.
  • Unpublished poet, novelist. (Like we need more of those.)
  • An Internet learner. Novice (Note my presence on Blogspot). But willing.
  • On the artistic side, I collect ties. Well, I used to. Now they sit in a cardboard box in the closet.
  • I have a wiener dog.

I tried blogging on Blogspot many moons ago. I think I did three or four entries, then petered out. This may last longer. Not that any of you care. Or should care. I am no genius.

I will blog regularly, however. It's the thing. It's the bomb. It's the fact that I'm ten or so years late getting into the game. So late I still have dial-up at home. Cheap, too, as evidence suggests.

Quote from the day (from lileks.com) (emphasis added):

"There’s a great deadness in many people, a grim harsh joy in the conviction we are just “moist robots,” to use the cynic’s phrase, living our lives in a vast factory that arose by miraculous random happenstance. Nothing amuses them more than belief, and oddly enough, nothing angers them more. It’s not even what you believe. It’s the very fact of believing in something other than Flying Spaghetti Monster photoshop contest deadlines or the enhancements on Episode IV."

He's dead on, of course. He speaks of those who commented at fark.com on shootings at a mission and a church in Colorado; those who commented along the lines that the four people who died ought to be happy because they went to their Jesus. One thing I've never understood about non-believers: You don't like it when we foist our beliefs on you. So why foist yours on us? (Must get controversey into the blog, rule #832!)

No comments: