Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Strike One

Good morning.

Just got a message regarding one of the three jobs I interviewed for in June. The news is not good. I still hold out hope, but it's fading, on the others. This job was No. 2 on my wish list. I'd just like to understand why they didn't pick me, to see if there's something I can work on or correct to increase my chances. Chances are they had a lot of qualified people apply for the job, and I just didn't make the final cut. But am I always to be the bridesmaid and never the bride? That's not really an apt metaphor, but I'll stick with it.

It's just frustrating. Add to that the fact that my computer won't talk with my thumb drive this morning, and today's really turned into a bummer.

I won't wail about this not being fair. Fairness has nothing to do with it. I know, going into these applications, that there is competition, and, frankly, I'm used to coming in second or third or fourth. Besides, the job I have here seems to be somewhat more secure, what with two writers taking the early buyout. That buys me maybe another three months before the next round of layoff hits just before Christmas. Hope that one doesn't ring my bell. I need to look at it this way: I have prayed the last few weeks for an answer. I got one today. Not the answer I wanted, but an answer nonetheless. I've been promised that I'll be able to support my family, so that's what I need to concentrate on, not the fairness or unfairness of the world, because, frankly, I'm in a good position now. Back in 2005 when I was still looking for good employment, this would have hurt a lot worse than it does now. Maybe I'll be in that unemployment boat again soon; no one can tell for sure. But I'll make the best of what I've got now. I do good work, people are happy with the work I do, so I ought to be content with that.

I also need to realize that work is not the be-all and end-all. Oh, it makes life much more pleasant, having money and such. But there are other ways in which I can find fulfillment. I need to get back to working on my novel. Uncharted, too, after a little bump, is becoming more entertaining, because I'm getting back into the writing and creativity end of the whole thing, rather than the running of the business and the wiping of the noses end of the whole thing, which is better.

No comments: