Thursday, November 3, 2011

A New (to Me) Comic: New Adventures of Queen Victoria

How might the staid Queen Victoria react to, say, George Lucas’ latest batch of edits to the classic Star Wars films?

Thanks to Pab Sungenis and his funny comic New Adventures of Queen Victoria, we know. Like this (and, frankly, not at all well):


I have to wonder – how does Mr. Sungenis get away with this? Well, part of it’s easy – the illustrations (and, I can assume to some point) the personas involved are in the public domain. Kinda sorta on the personas, definitely on the illustrations. The rest is just a few deft strokes with what I assume is a computer stylus, combined with a lot of wit on the part of Mr. Sungenis, and there you go, that’s how he gets away with it.

The humor is contemporary, but always focused through Victoria’s Victorian lens. I’d like to think royalty is as human as he makes them out to be, but part of me also wants to be able to flap my arms and fly to the moon as well.

Sungenis is liberal and not afraid to share that in his comic, so true conservatives beware. For those of us who sag in the middle, it’s pretty good entertainment.

Here are a few more recent ones that tickled my funny bone:




No comments: