Tuesday, October 29, 2013

NoNoWriMo 2013

I have waffled about this for a while, but I have decided not to participate in National Novel Writing Month 2013.

Does that make me a wiener?
I guess so.
But I’ve got a lot going.
I’m editing one of my novels right now. It needs a lot of intensive care. I don’t see writing another novel while this one (and others) lie bleeding as a good way to spend my time, when it can be better spend making something I’ve already got in the can better.
Secondly, I’m reading a friend’s novel right now. I’m hoping if I can get his read fast enough and thoroughly enough, he’ll return the favor. Seeing how someone else writes and thinking about how my suggestions to him can make my own writing better seems like a better way to spend my November than writing a new novel that’s going to need a lot of help.
Third, I’m a lot busier now. Just got called as Scoutmaster, and that’s going to eat up a lot of time and energy. Add that to a full-time technical writing job and a part-time job teaching English, and I’ve got a full plate.
Plus I’ve got three kids who need attention and help and support and encouragement.
I’ve got a novel I started earlier this year that’s still holding my interest. I don’t want to leave it to start a new one for NaNoWriMo. It’s got a lot of promise. But also needs a lot of TLC.
Yes, there are reasons to keep writing despite everything I’ve listed here. Really good writers or really ambitious writer would keep going, damn the distractions.
Well, I’m not a really good writer, nor an ambitious one. I’ve crossed the NaNoWriMo finish line twice. And it feels great. I’d like to concentrate on crossing the self-publishing finish line with something I’ve got, and that’s going to take some effort.
Here’s someone who feels like I do, complete with typos.
Neil Gaiman agrees with me as well. Or, rather, I agree with him: “It’s astonishing how much more cheerful a place the world becomes when you start to finish things.”
That’s exactly what I aim to do.

No comments: