Third time was the charm, since I came back with a new badge that resembles the old one in every way except it says “ICP” across the top rather than “NW”. Not feeling so nakey now. And it even let me back into the building. Proof in the pudding, however, will be whether I can use it to get back into RWMC in the morning.
- This job does not define me. I am who I am whether I work here or not. It helps finance me, but it does not subsume what I am.
- This is STILL better than working in newspapers. In fact, every time I feel even the slightest bit of stress about this job, I remind myself of that. Because it’s the truth.
- I’ve had this job for a long time. Just today I opened up a document revision form to fix a document last revised in 2008. Last revised by ME. That was a FREAKING LONG TIME AGO. IN fact, I had to look carefully at the 2017 date I was putting on the form because for a few moments there I was sure it was wrong.
- 2005, the year I left newspapers, is still a watershed year in my life. But the sting of it has long since been overshadowed by the joy of 2006 when I got this job in its first form, and the sting has faded ever since. No matter the stresses of 2017, they cannot overtop the stresses of 2005. Which feels like ancient times now.
- I will probably continue this list ad infinitum, so I’m going to stop now.