Monday, January 15, 2018

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Hells. Bells.


Mary Poppins is one thing. But then you’ve got a character who thinks “I was genuinely perplexed. I couldn’t remember the last time someone didn’t like me. What wasn’t to like? I was made to be likeable” you have to kind of gag a little.

Why does Mary Poppins get the bye, but this princess doesn’t?

Because I know Mary Poppins’ story, and I don’t yet know the story of this particular princess, as I’m still reading the book.

Also, Poppins says “practically.” She leaves some room for doubt. This princess? Nah.

I hold on to the hope this is just an early ploy to make the character insufferable so, as the story progresses, she evolves in her arc and becomes the likeable person she’s certain she is.

Perfection could be a character flaw.

That’s why I can’t give up on this book yet. Though I really want to.

It takes a lot for me to give up on a book. In fact, in the past five years, I’m sure there’s only one book I’ve given up on – and it deserved it.

No comments: