Saturday, January 13, 2018

*That’s* for Employing Me for Eight Years!


So, in a few months I’m probably going to do a terrible thing.

I can’t yet reveal what this terrible thing is – I’ve been sworn to secrecy by those who technically don’t know I’m going to do the terrible thing, per se, but since the terrible thing is connected to a related not-so-terrible thing I can’t discuss at the moment, well, you see what’s going on here.

I say “probably,” because, recently I participated in a rather long discussion on whether or not people like me (or people like me who want to be like other, more advanced people) should do the terrible thing I’m probably going to do. The consensus was doing the terrible thing, while protected by various things we shall in this instance call freedoms, should not be done lest those more advanced people’s feelings get hurt in ways that would suddenly make my efforts to become one of the more advance people harder to accomplish. Words like “thin-skinned,” “vengeful,” and “sometimes petty” were brought up in this discussion on whether or not people in my position should do the terrible thing.

One caveat: This terrible thing has nothing to do with employment. I will still have a job after I (probably) do the terrible thing. And if I don’t it won’t be because of the terrible thing, unless one of the more advanced, think-skinned, vengeful, and petty people to whom I do the terrible thing have a lot of pull and influence in the nuclear waste cleanup world. Which is probably not outside the realm of possibility.


Part of the message in the discussion on whether or not one should do the terrible thing revolved around the insular, closely-connected world of the more advanced people, There exist quid pro quos that if one doesn’t do the terrible thing to another, the other won’t do the terrible thing to you. Even if you deserve to have the terrible thing done to you, or if they deserve it as well.


Further bulletins as events warrant.

No comments: