Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Ooga


I have become Mordac, Preventer of Information Services.

Or at least his less-competent minion, The Guy Who Maybe Gets Stuff Done If You Ask Him Enough Times to Do It.

That’s at home, at least, where I spent a good portion of my time working to get InDesign put back on Michelle’s desktop computer.

And what a pain that was. Some of it was necessarily self-inflicted, but most of it was due to Adobe.
You know Adobe – they created InDesign, which Michelle loves. Many moons ago we bought the third iteration of their Creative Suite. They have, as is the wont of software companies, moved on. But they have moved on from an insanely-expensive product – as I recall, we paid more than $300, with student discounts for CS3 – to an even more insanely-expensive monthly subscription service for their newest iterations.

And a while back her computer crashed so I had to try to reinstall her suite, which wouldn’t work. Last weekend, I reset her computer back to factory settings – minus the removal of the Windows 10 upgrade, which apparently has its tentacles wrapped and locked – and tried again. Got to the last step, and no-go. Then had to go online with Adobe support for more than an hour for a new product key, and a new setup file. Not happy. And not, technically, sure it’s fully installed and operational.

And because we had to reset to factory, I had to reinstall a bunch of other software, printer drivers, etc. And I’m not sure I’m done with those, either. The next thirty days will tell. Or sooner, if she gets messages about any trial use and such, which I hope she does not for InDesign.

One Mordac success this weekend: We replaced two keyboards.



No comments: