Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Brady Bunch Movie -- A Waste of Time

Earlier this month, I asked what Hollywood would do to The Brady Bunch.

Well, I finally finished watching “The Brady Bunch Movie,” and have decided thus:

1. They paid homage to The Brady Bunch
2. They wrote a terrible movie about it.

I can’t fault the actors. Certainly Shelley Long and Gary Cole did wonderfully well in their roles.
But transplanting the Bradys into the 90s certainly required a lot of, um, crap.

I see they still got the lesbian storyline in, though not with one of the girls, though that’s what they wanted to do in the first place.

And I feel sorry for Jan in this movie. No wonder Eve Plumb declined to take part in this film.
There is no reason for this film. If you like the Brady Bunch, watch the TV show. Skip the movie.
I think what grates the most is how they transplanted the ‘70s into the ‘90s, winking at how the Bradys just don’t fit in any more. Thing is, they didn’t really fit in back in the ‘70s either. Nobody mentioned Richard Nixon or Vietnam. So no shock that nobody talks about grunge music in their ‘70s pad or appreciates – or even gets – the sex jokes they wrote for Marsha’s idiot date.

I like it when Greg took over the stage and the dance and played his stupid song. It’s so ‘70s, and that’s why we like the Bradys. We don’t need to see them transplanted into the ‘90s, one of the worst decades out there.

I did learn one thing: If I had to choose between The Brady Bunch world and today’s world, I’d choose The Brady Bunch world.

No comments: