Monday, November 26, 2018

Bringing Christ Home

I’ve never been shy about enjoying Christmas music year-round. But now with Thanksgiving in the past, I can officially begin really enjoying my music.

First, this:



Silent Night is, of course, one of the most enduring Christmas hymns. Its simple message and melody can’t be drowned out by the clamour of the world.

And the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square’s video brings Christ to us by allegory as well as by the spirit. Which leads me to one of my favorite Christmas carols:



Here we have the Catlan carol, famous in the area of France where I spent half of my mission. This simple song brings the wonderful events of Bethlehem to some unnamed Catlan farm, where the humble and faithful are invited to welcome the Christ child. Not from some faraway place. But at home. Which is where Christ should be.

No comments: