Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The Laptop Saga Continues

Since thusfar my efforts to find a replacement U key for my son's laptop has proved fruitless, I turned yesterday to HP, the computer's manufacturer.

First, of course, that meant being able to identify the computer. Designers are too crass to label things correctly now; I'm staring at my HP Pavilion desktop right now (which recently came back from the dead). Try to find the name of my son's computer, and it can't be done.

Printed in tiny, smudgeable print on the bottom of the laptop are a series of numbers, which I ditufully entered into HP's website so they could identify the computer. That helped me conjure up the product number for it.

So, progress.

But then, sticker shock. Apparently, HP isn't sitting on a bunch of spare parts that they could either use to fix minor things like this, or send out to happy fiddlers like me willing to learn. No, they said they'd repair the laptop for $300. About 2/3 of what we paid for it. For a broken U key.

So that's a no-go.

Next on the list: Haunting local thrift stores in an attempt to find a discarded laptop that might have keys that'll work with his computer.

Such a pain in the butt. And more evidence that Big Tech is absolutely nuts.

There may be people willing to sell invidual parts, but I've been burned once, so I'm wary.

No comments: