Thursday, July 6, 2023

Way too Late at the Movies, Again: The Big Short, A Night to Remember, and Nothing But Trouble

Yes, I'm taking advantage that I'm the only one home to watch a batch of YouTube movies.

Again, these are of varying quality, but two -- A Night to Remember and Nothing But Trouble" were completely new to me.

The Big Short. Again, one I've seen quite a few clips of thanks to randos on YouTube. This one feels like I got a well-rounded clipshow beforehand. I love Steve Carell's perpetually cranky character, who admits to being happy when he's not feeling happy at all.

This film, like Margin Call, focuses on the 2008 financial crisis, but feels a lot less preachy. It's smarmy at all the right times and has more of a Joe Sixpack feel to it than the other. It still delivers a "message" at the end, reminding us that while we the taxpayer paid for everything, only one banker -- a Swiss one, at that -- went to jail over the whole crisis, and the banks continued to use their (taxpayer) money to lobby for no significant changes whatsoever.

But it does make me question whether the stories I'm seeing about Dr. Michael Burry seeing similar things in today's housing market that he saw back then hold water, as he did indeed bail out of investing in anything but water. But I'm sure things changed since then.

A Night to Remember. A British telling of the Titanic disaster. Much like the more ballyhooed modern version, the ship spends a lot of time sinking and I spent a lot of time watching people panic and do brave things and horrid things and whatnot, so I'm not going to say I was keen on the film. At least there were no made-up villains this time.

Nothing But Trouble. I remember seeing ads for this when I was but a lad, and thinking "Okay, this is Dan Aykroyd, whom I really liked in Ghostbusters, but this is, um, weird." And yeah, go with that feeling. Definitely feels like a dream you have when you're sick and fevered and not really sure who you should be rooting for.

I felt bad watching John Candy in this. I can't say it looked like he was having any fun with either of the roles he had. Dan Aykroyd seemed to enjoy himself, but he might be the only one who did in this film.


I'm not sure who the audience was, or what the message was supposed to be. Part of it really felt like they were making fun of, you know, anyone who didn't live in New York City. But I don't know. It was just awful.

 

No comments: