Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Way Too Late at the Movies: Margin Call, The Phantom Tollbooth, and The King's Speech

I love that YouTube's rotation of free movies introduces things to me that I'm familiar with, but have never seen in full. YouTube presents many clips, of course, and I've watched them time again again, particularly of these three movies.

Watching them in full, however, is a different experience.

Margin Call. I had no idea Demi Moore was in this, as the clips I've seen of the show don't focus on her. And there are some sanctimonious speeches in the film that the writers think hit right, but kind of fell flat for me. And that little idiot who all he did was fuss about his own job, he bugged me.

There's a speech about the "common man" and how they had no idea what was going to happen as the 2008 financial crisis unfolded. That really bugged me. Because at the time, we weren't one of the slobbering minions trying to grab the brass ring with extravagant living space or shaky, shady mortgage deals. So we had no idea what was going to happen, nor how it might impact us.

They might be chagrined to know it worked out well for us. We sold our house at the asking price, and bought another at a bargain price at the absolute low of the crisis. And we did it conventionally. No oddball mortgages necessary.

I enjoyed the full film.

The Phantom Tollbooth. I know the book its based on is pedantic, but the film really felt overhanded. Not quite Page Master level of "gotta preach to the plebs about getting a well-rounded education," but pretty close.

I love the book. The film, however, is probably best left to the highlight reel.

The King's Speech. I've seen only the speech-therapy-related clips, and I loved them. The film is even better. I expected nothing less, of course, as I know the film is highly regarded. There's not a stinker in any of the roles, and the story moves along briskly. And I did not expect to see Derek Jacobi there.

One thing I might be disappointed with: The music. It all seems really blah to me, except at the scene where Logue and the king have reconciled and they are practicing in Westminster Abbey. There, the music is perfect. I have always loved history, and weaving this personal and true story in with that history is magnificently done in this film.

And while I've dissed the music, this scene is perfect with its blend of music and drama.



No comments: