Thursday, August 24, 2023

Rear-End First Exit from the ERO?

So, after more than a decade of being a member of an emergency response team at work, I may be getting an exit.


Situation: I got talked into joining the ERO when I was fairly new on the job at the RWMC by an emergency services guy who was part of my document reviews. The volunteer position brought on some extra stress in the form of training and one to two drills a year, but it wasn't all that bad. I'm convinced at one point, as a subcontractor, it saved my job when writer layoffs occurred.

But things have changed since then. I'm now part of the company, no longer a sub. Also, since the pandemic, I've been a teleworker. My job can be performed just as easy in my basement as in a fabric-covered box in the desert.

But I still remained part of the ERO, even after explaining my change in work status.

I've done two drills since then. The first, I actually went out first thing in the morning to work there. But as that seemed artificial since in an actual emergency I wouldn't know to be out there (it's a good hour drive) I would be responding from home.

So the second drill, that's what I did. Got the call, responded from home, and participated in the drill for about 15 minutes before it was over. Again, I emphasized then that I worked from home, and that is how I would respond in an actual emergency. They seemed okay with that.

This drill, there was a lot of new blood in, and I suspected my telework status had not been communicated to them. Nevertheless, I didn't change my plan.

I got the call, started driving out, but just as I hit the western city limit, they called first of all to see if I was coming, then after I explained -again - that I telework, they had a conflab, then called again to send me home. I'm yet to see if that means they'll begin my exit from the ERO, or move me to a position that's in town rather than in the desert. We'll see.

As for the volunteer job's layoff-preventing qualities, I'm taking on other responsibilities that should be it's equal.

No comments: