Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Garner Files, A Review

In this book, James Garner goes a long way to insist he isn't Jim Rockford or Bret Maverick. And I get that. He's an actor playing roles. I can see why he'd get upset about being pigeonholed.

I guess what I see more in this book is that he's, well, kind of a hypocrite, like me. He laments that people tell him as an actor he shouldn't express his political beliefs, for example. And then dumps on those supporting political beliefs he doesn't agree with.

I don't have a dog in the Republican/Democrat fight, but I don't believe one's support one way or the other should be denigrated. Ignored, certainly. But to claim right to express political views and dismiss that same right to others of a different stripe, well, that's not right.

This was an okay book. It starts out very slowly, and feels more like a collection of reminisces than a biography. And maybe that was the intent. But don't go into it looking for any deep thoughts or insights, because they're rarely there.

I did read most of it with his voice in my head, though. Read mostly because I like his Jim Rockford character, and while he does share some of those qualities, there's a lot of acting involved as well. A good reminder about putting people on pedestals.

Not that I hate the guy or the book. Just gave me a few things to think about, and I think James Garner would respect that.

No comments: