Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Alluring Dixie Bowl

I have a paper "Dixie" bowl in my cubicle. It's ont he desk in front of me right now. For the last few days I've used it to hold corn chips, as part of my lunch. It still has a few corn chip crumbs in it, along with the expected salty residue. The urge to put this bowl on my head like a hat is proving near irresistable.

I just got my green card. It's a card that shows our INL qualifications, the training we need to have and keep our jobs. It shows I'm a certified hazardous waste operator and a Level 1 radiation worker. Which means I can legally wander into areas posted for my level of training, that contain radioactivity. Not that I plan on doing much of that, mind you. I'm very much like Homer Simpson in that I have this job that in a vague way involves radioactivity, but I don't let thoughts of that kind of stuff interrrupt a good round of Chair Ball.

I still have not put the bowl on my head. My will is strong.

This weekend is going to be a busy one. Friday, I'll spend shoveling snow, literally. Have to shovel off the roof of the house, the shed and the kids' backyard fort. I will also likely be talked into shoveling off the roof of the widder lady who lives across the alley.

The bowl is still on my desk, unmolested.

The bowl is still not on my head.

Still on the desk.

Still on the desk.

I gotta go.

I'm back. Mitt Romney may either suspend or stop his campaign for president. So it goes. I'll then vote for a Democrat. So it goes. Maybe I'll send him my bowl. It might prove a comfort to him. Reminds me that I gave a Monty Python "Gumby" hat (basically, a handkerchief knotted at all corners) to my first mission president. I have a photo of him wearing it. He's now a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy.

I wonder, still, if he has the Gumby hat. He probably does, and thus does not need a Dixie bowl at all.

No comments: