Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Anybody got a Rolaid?

There are only a few people who are supposed to know this. Since nobody from work ever, ever comes here, I feel safe revealing it here.

My job is safe.

Whew.

Did a little fishing today. Actually, fishing in conjunction with a job application -- USU IT is looking for a technical writer. I applied for the job, and used my new boss as a reference. I asked him first, of course, by saying that Im just sending out feelers, just in case. He wrote back:

"That's fine, but between you and me, your job is safe."

Ahhh. Relief. Not that I wouldn't take a better job if one were to come along. . .

There are other signs: He asked today that the company do an ergonomic assessment of my work station. They wouldn't do that if they were going to give me the heave-ho in a week or so. Carpal tunnel? Who cares? He's out on his ear.

Also, I'm getting a pager (finally) in connection with my volunteer job on the company emergency response team. They won't issue pagers to weenies like me who are going to get their butts canned like a German cheeseburger.

So relief floods the little cubicle here in the modular office building on the Lost River Desert. I may order that Spike Jones CD AND get us signed up for wireless internet, all in the same week. I can breathe again.

No comments: