Wednesday, March 26, 2008




Because I wanted to do something fun today, here's an MP3 of the Spike Jones song "Der Fuhrer's Face." Interesting to note: The song was not written by Spike Jones and the City Slickers, but rather by Oliver Wallace, a British-American composer who worked primarily for Walt Disney Studios. After Jones made the song popular, Disney used his version in an animated short also called "Der Fuhrer's Face," first shown in 1942. Oliver, with Frank Churchill, won an Oscar for the music to Dumbo in 1940. Thank you, Wikipedia.


I've been a fan of Spike Jones since I was a kid -- introduced to his music by my mother, who also introduced me to Fibber McGee and Molly and a lot of those old radio shows. I often worry that with M*A*S*H, Carol Burnett and WKRP in Cincinnati, which we watch at home, we're infusing too much of the 1970s culture into our own children. Then I look at how infused 1940s culture is in me, and I figure, why worry.


No comments: