Monday, March 24, 2008

Disappointment Times Two

You may have read last week that I was disappointed I wasn't able to pick up a copy of Airplane! fromthe discount bin at Wal-Mart. Well. I did so. Took it home. Happily slapped it into the DVD player. Then was appalled.

Drug use. Nudity. Yikes. It's going out the window as fast as it came in the door. I just don't remember that from the times I saw it on television. Then it dawned on me: "Don't Call Me Shirley" edition, it says on the box. Uncut. Deleted scenes added. Might as well have said "Absolutely stupid, bawdy and moronic scenes (even for this film) added." Talk about garbage. So it's gone. And I'm disappointed. The movie was funny without these added, uh, gems. Absolutely unnecessary to put them in. Stupid on the part of the directors. Just stupid. I know it's no great loss to American arts and literature, but at the same time, do we have to have that kind of garbage in the same movie as lines like "It looks just like a big Tylenol?" I suppose ther are peopl eout there who'll say I shouldn't be such a prig, that I should just get used to, get inured to, such references in pop culture. Not gonna do it. I've seen what getting inured to pop culture can do, on a personal level. So I won't do it.

Spent the weekend battling the Toyota. Well, not really. That sounds overdramatic. Suffice it to say the battery went dead, despite hours spent trying to recharge it. So I got a new battery. At least the dang thing died in front of the house, and not on some far-off location.

Stress about the job is put off for another week. It's union employees who get the ax this week, or so the rumors go, with salaried employees the next. Poop is that someone in our little world is going to be on the losing end of this argument. Don't know who. But I suspect. Guess who the low guy on the totem pole is? But this is all speculation. Even our managers -- secure in their jobs -- say it's changing one week to the next, what's going to happen. But they can grin and laugh about it, then go on with their lives. Those of us on the lower echelons still shake in our boots. Because you know it's not going to be the managers getting the axe, they're the ones the higher ups are talking with on whom should go. Nobody's going to say, "Ohh! Pick me! Pick me!"

No comments: