Sunday, June 19, 2011

One of My Favorite Places


Went here over the weekend, just to see the moss. Well, not necessarily to see the moss, but getting to see the moss is a nice bonus of going here. Here is Mesa Falls, of course. Where else would it be? The only thing I forgot to do was to verify that the ubiquitous Nose Hair Man was still there. Actually forgot about it until just now. Feeling dumb about that.


I just love the moss. Whenever I hear anyone say that Idaho isn't green and pretty but brown and ugly, I have to say, well, you don't know Idaho like I know Idaho.

We met a couple from Illinois there. They'd enjoyed -- well, if that's the word for it -- driving through a blizzard while crossing the Continental Divide in Yellowstone National Park the day before. They'd stopped at Mesa Falls on their way to Jackson. "This is God's country," they both said, over and over. Yeah, it is. And you know what, I'll bet if we'd have been able to show them around the "drier" part of Idaho, they'd have seen the beauty as well.


But here, there is the moss. And, even on the 18th of June, a big patch of snow at the foot of the waterfalls.

No comments: