Saturday, April 4, 2020

After All We Can Do

So, at home this week. It's been weird.

Weirder yet when Danny called at about 9 am Wednesday and said due to an uptick in demand for editors, they were going to get me a key so I could work remotely at home.

Since then, nothing. I imagine Blake, the IT guy I get along with the most, seeing my name on a list for key-needers and saying "Eh, he doesn't really want one," and putting my request at the bottom of the pile.

We'll see what happens Monday.

I wouldn't mind going back to work, though. Not that this past week has been bad. I just don't want them to forget I'm useful.

Or that I'm really getting used to this:


I did dream about going back to work last night. Our offices had been moved to an abandoned shopping mall. There were desks and computers and cubicles everywhere. But the one that had been assigned to me was taken by someone else. I managed to pick up my mail, walked past a souvenir stand where two ladies were fighting over a plush Grumpy the Dwarf doll, and then I found an empty conference room where I could sit, but no computer.

Bathroom remodeling continues. The state, as of yesterday:


It looks like I'm making progress. But alas. If you look behind the sink, that little black square is a wall pan for a new heater, replacing the one that was underneath the sink cabinet. It can't go on the wall anywhere behind the sink, because either the sink or the plumbing is in the way. So it's going to go in the opposite wall, meaning I have to take down some of the Wonderboard I've got up in the shower area so I can run some electrical wire. Won't be that bad to do, but it does feel like a step backward. But it'll get the heater in that Michelle wants.

Note also we can't re-use the old faucet from the sink. The pedestal sink calls for something fancier. So Monday morning, 6 am, I'll head to Home Depot to find a replacement.

Shopping -- and no work -- has been the biggest disruption for us. Stores are weird. I go to Home Depot at 6 am to avoid the lines, not that I suspect there are lines anymore anyway. People are getting a bit more used to the pandemic restrictions. We even managed to find toilet paper at our last trip at Winco earlier this week.

Online shopping is bonkers, probably worse than going to the stores. I haven't looked myself, but Michelle says she's seen quadrupling, and quadrupling again, of prices for food. She tried to order some stuff from Walmart online, but their system flat out wasn't working, probably due to increased demand.

And it's Conference weekend. Blessed conference. We've been asked by President Nelson to hold a special fast on Good Friday, next week, for additional help from the Lord in beating the pandemic. So we'll do it. It's our chance to show our faith, after all we've been asked to do.

And what have we done? Well, stayed home for the most part. I'm trying to convince Isaac and Lexie to earn the Home Repairs merit badge as they can do most of the stuff in it working alongside me, but that's an uphill battle against cell phone technology and friends who are equally stir crazy. They started online classes Wednesday (or Thursday, it's hard to tell with our days blending together a little bit). I think they're going okay, though they're on a really shortened schedule (probably for the best) and doing a lot of their work on their own. So it's like an online class through BYUI, which isn't all that bad. They have cancelled senior projects for the year, officially, which has made Lexie pretty happy. Not that she doesn't want to choreograph her ballet dance, but it does mean she doesn't have to write the associated research paper.

Sounds like one of the dogs did an unauthorized indoor poop. Better go check.

No comments: