Thursday, September 15, 2022

End the Middle Management Subsidy

 


This video, along with another I'll post from the same fellow, is an interesting mini-study on how boosting investment in high-speed internet could be key in solving a lot of the crises we're seeing today, from home affordability to the diminuition of small towns.

A bigger challenge might be changing the expectation that work has to take place at work, rather than in dispersed locations. And, as always, helping those who can't work from home see the benefits for them (and I think there are plenty).


In the second video he says something that made me chuckle: "I love transportation. I love seeing the state spend billions of dollars to build cool new roads and rail for me to ride on and drive. But as a taxpayer, one could ask the question: 'Is the state spending billions of dollars just to subsidize middle managers being able to physically supervise their employees, who could do their job anywhere?'"

And what might the benefits for "essential" workers be?

Many that overlap those who can work from home: Less-crowded roads. Lower house prices. High-speed internet penetration to more and more rural communities. I could go on.

No comments: