Monday, February 6, 2023

ChatGPT: THBBBBTTTT! THRRPTTTT!!!!


This is how I've felt, the last few weeks.

And yes, maybe with two posts in a row about ChatGPT, I'm adding in a small way to the THRRPTTTTing of the Internet on the subject. But lordy there are a *lot* of people really enamored with this thing, even when they don't quite know what it is.

I watched a few days ago a three-minute long YouTube video by some ChatGPT acolyte showing us how to "install the app" on our desktop computers.

I  mean, it was a three-minute convoluted video showing how to make a desktop link to the website; that's all it was. BUT IT'S CHATGPT and thus AMAZING and even if we DON'T KNOW how or why to actually use it, we HAVE to get on the BANDWAGON RIGHT NOW.

I've tried joining a few ChatGPT-related Facebook groups, and each time it's proved to be a grave mistake, as the ChatGPT-ing of everything is worse than the Bernie-in-Mittening that The Oatmeal illustrates above.

If I hear "ChatGPT" and "disrupt" used together in a sentence one more time, I'm going to go bonkers. Because so far the hype is really outpacing everything else. Because I've watched AirBnb "disrupt" the hotel industry to the point people are going back to hotels because the average AirBnb host is adding on so many fees that hotels are far cheaper and much more convenient to use. ChatGPT may well find its place, but right now it's in the IT'S EVERYWHERE phase of Internet gibbering. I'm going to wait for the dust to settle a little bit. then maybe find a group that's a little less breathless about the thing.

No comments: