Friday, October 20, 2023

Sorry, Dogs, the Knotholes are Gone

Younger Me might be chagrined to hear this, but I'm at my happiest when I'm building something.

So our neighbors to the north sold their house. Given that they took their big dogs with them, we thought this would be the perfect time to replace the fence along that property line, at least through their backyard.

So that's what I did today.



I had to do some trimming to let this cedar trunk poke through. I'm not sure I did enough of a gap, but we'll see. Had to do the same thing along the bottom as the roots are protruding. You can see in the picture that the tree is so close to the fence I had to secure the slats from this side rather than the other. Not necessarily happy about that, but it is what it is.

The next bit of fence along the sideyard is going to take some work, as I have four posts that have to be replaced because the current posts are leaning heavily toward the north. I'm not sure I'm excited to dig that many postholes this close to winter. It's also hard to think any concrete I pour to hold the posts in place won't freeze rather than cure. So that'll be for next year.

Much to the chagrin of our dogs, this means the knotholes they barked at when the dogs next door were barking are gone. I'm sure they'll still go to that part of the fenceline to bark. Old habits die hard.

No comments: