Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Tell Me You're Overthinking Sneaker Marketing Without Telling Me You're Overthinking Sneaker Marketing

From the Facebook(!) and I have to wonder why:


I mean, I know sneakers are a highly-competetive market. So doing something to make your own brand stand out is essential.

But clearly, I am not the demographic for these particular shoes. I'm not in the New Balance demographic either, but that's the direction I'm trending. It doesn't seem to matter to them that their ad spread preferences include "50+ Gen Xers who've seen this kind of crap "edgy" marketing their whole lives and are so damn weary of it they only look at it to pick it apart for its humor value," but I guess they know best how to spend their online advertizing dollar.

Their "storyline," for the curious.

A few snips, in case it's memory-holed:







And it goes on like this. AI-generated twaddle that, as far as I can tell, isn't even skeaner-adjacent, let alone sneaker-relevant.

But it doesn't have to make sense; it's marketing. It's supposed to appeal to the bad boy who thinks writing stories about demons and reading stories about demons make them unique and edgy, when all it really means that if they buy these sneakers, it's like they bought any other kind of sneakers, and very likely overpaid for them.


And I'm pretty sure the sock shown in the upper left-hand corner says "Kill all fascists," because that's also storyline adjacent, if only sneaker-adjacent because it's printed on a sock.

Continue thinking you're expressing your individuality by walking in unison in branded, mass-marketed sneakers that tell stories hokey enough the could be produced by sellers of supplements and anatomy enhancers. Because if you buy these sneakers, you're cool-adjacent.

No comments: