Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Threaten Me, Will You?

A week or so ago, YouTube suddenly decided it didn't like my adblocker anymore.

So it began threatening me. At first, they were pretty innocent threats, basically just making me acknowledge that I was using an adblocker before it would play a video.

Then it got serious and told me it would only allow me to watch three more videos before something terrible would happen.

So I did what any other red-blooded American would do: I caved in and turned the adblocker off.


After a week of watching ads, though (and by watching, I mean zoning out when they played and then skipping when allowed) I turned my adblocker back on.

No more ads. No more (as of yet) threatening messages.

Now I know this isn't a free service. But I also know any ad revenue I'd like to see go to the content creators, not necessarily the content host. So if a creator has in-house ads or sponsors, I'm all for that. Just don't make me watch any more commercials for Liberty Mutual or Tmobile, please.

So I should watch the ads. I mean, I used to watch a ton of them when I was a kid. But we got more variety in ads then. And the sun was warmer, and all that old guy stuff. They didn't make us watch commercial after commercial for Liberty Mutual, or force us to listen to the Tmobile Singers butcher songs from Oklahoma.

No comments: