Wednesday, January 31, 2024

ANYTHING BUT KOKOMO!

I'm nearly 40 minutes into a homemade 2 1/2 hour documentary on Project Mercury, and am struggling to understand why they've made me watch a string of failed launches from the 1950s to The Beach Boys' 1988 song "Kokomo." And I mean the entire song.

Sure, it's explosions happening in Florida. The song, well, it's supposed to be set in Flordia, but this is The Beach Boys we're talking about.

Just prior to this montage, they used Eddie Cochran's 1958 "Summertime Blues," which fit just fine and is certainly more in time with the era.

The documentary up to this point has been excellent, so I'll forgive this Beach Boys musical sin.

"Kokomo," by the way, does not transport me to a fictitious Florida location nor into an idyll that mentions exploding rockets in any way; it instead transports me thirty or so years ago to a local pizza parlor where, as we dined, another family pumped about $100 in quarters into the jukebox and played -- AND SANG ALONG TO -- nothing but "Kokomo" the entire time we were there.


Me, every time I hear anything by The Beach Boys:



No comments: