Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Opposition to Idaho House Bill 415 Part II, Party Line Boogaloo

Dear Senator Cook,

I hold little hope that this letter will make any difference in the way you may vote on House Bill 415, passed today by the House and now bound for the Senate, but I want to let you know I'm not in favor of it.

I fail to see how arming teachers, introducing more guns to school, is going to do anything to curb school shootings. Are guns the only answer to gun violence? It seems the Idaho House says yes.

I take particular opposition to the loophole teachers are offered if they use their guns on school property. A concealed carry license doesn't mean these individuals have any training in conflict resolution or communication; it just means they can carry a gun. I'd like to think we can do better by Idaho students.

Nevertheless, I am prepared to see the Senate toe the Republican Party line on this issue. That doesn't mean I have to like it, nor reward it at the polls.

Thanks for listening,

No comments: