Saturday, January 13, 2024

THROTTLE EVERYTHING!


Is YouTube throttling video play and quality if you've got an adblocker in place?

No.

It's flat out making watching its videos impossible, and the extreme latency extends to WHATEVER OTHER SITES YOU MIGHT HAVE OPEN AT THE TIME.

They don't discriminate. It doesn't matter if the other sites aren't YouTube-related or Google adjacent. You're getting latency so bad it makes you long for the wicked fast video download speeds available over dialup services.

Yes, I know adblockers are verboten per YouTube's TOS. But that doesn't give Google the right to slow EVERYTHING down.

How do I know this? I've been fighting latency for days, and it didn't matter what website I had open, EVEN IF I DIDN'T HAVE A YOUTUBE TAB OPEN. I tried all sorts of tricks with my computer, our internet signal, but imagine my shock when I turned off AdBlocker+ and WOW EVERYTHING IS LOADING BACK TO NORMAL NOW.

Google, you suck.

No comments: