Thursday, February 22, 2024

Don't Let this Be You, Instructors

 


Honestly, this could have been me earlier this semester. And by me, I don't mean me as a student, but me as an instructor.

Turnitin flagged a student essay as likely partially created by AI. I gave her a zero but decided I wanted to hear from her before going any further.

Turns out she had used Grammarly to check her work. I had her turn in her un-Grammarlied essay and graded that one -- which netted her a 98 percent score on the paper. She used Grammarly because English is not her first language -- something I completely understand. But clearly in reading her draft, she has enough talent as a writer that the problems she has with English aren't a major concern.

No report to the academic integrity office. I wanted to hear from her first, and to find out the extent of the AI use.

So, I'm going to emphasize this: Talking with students about AI use, especially when papers are flagged as AI, is important. I'm not sure if the student in the news story had a talk with her instructor, but clearly the result was a zero and academic probation. Knowing what's going on, and helping a student see the pitfalls and concerns, will go a lot further than automatically slapping on the penalties, especially on a first offense.

No comments: