Thursday, February 8, 2024

Way too Late at the Movies: Tower

I've wanted to see 2016's documentary "Tower" since I first saw trailers for it.

But as I grew up without cable, I didn't really see a reason to jump on the streaming bandwagon, so it did't happen.

What attracted me was the unusual decision to use animation -- specifically, rotoscoping -- for a major portion of the film, as seen in the trailer:


The film does use the standard documentary elements: Footage from the event, interviews of those involved -- but all the recreations are done with rotoscoped animation, which brings a unique perspective to the documentary. They are, at times, able to show the events from the same point of view as those who were there, and that adds an incredibly visceral element to the film.

The documentary focuses on the shootings at the University of Texas in Austin, in 1966.

At one point, they use Claude Debussy's "Clair de Lune" as part of the soundtrack. It's one of my favorite pieces of music, and at first I objected to its use. But they used it so well, paired with image and voice, that I forgave them.

Little is said about the perpetrator of the shootings -- and I think that's another brave choice. As the shooter was killed 96 minutes into the event, anything they could say about his motivations or emotional state would have been conjecture anyway.

No comments: