Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So, can you fit Mitt into an envelope?

Two things to discuss today: Apple's new "Air" laptop, and Mitt Romney's win in Michigan.

On the "Air"

So, it's thin. Who cares? I have a "thick" laptop, probably about 2 inches thick. It's brand-spakinging new. Paid $350 for it. It does what I want it to do. I've never worried about its thickness. Or thinness. Or overmuch about anything aside from will it let me watch DVDs while I'm on the bus and will it let me process words. So it works just fine for me. Don't feel the need to pay $2,000 for something thin enough to go into a manila envelope. Sure, the Air is pretty. But unnecessary, if you're not one of those idiot toy-grabbers who have to have the latest widget because they can't even pay spiders for sex.

Poor Apple. They have to try to top the iPhone with a useless widget. Of course, it's one widget topping another widget. Widget widget widget.

On the "Mitt"

So, Mitt won. Why, for the Republicans, does his win, combined with Huckabee's win in Iowa and McCain's win in New Hampsire, mean, according to a buttload of pundits, that the Republican Party is adrift? Nobody's saying that about the Democrats' split between Obama and Clinton. Couldn't it just be that, wow, everybody in the two parties is finally thrilled to have a good crop of people to pick from, and that -- wow, this is an interesting concept -- people in different states might have different opinions on who is the best to win this pony show?

Politically, I'm independent. I tend, in local elections, to vote for the Democrats, because they have no chance in hell of ever getting to office and I think someone should vote for them. In national elections, I tend to vote for the guy (or gal) less likely to win, because then when the bozo who does win gets in and starts driving the country right back into the ditch, I can whistle past the wreckage, tapping away at my fat laptop.

No comments: