Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Twenty-Seven Below Zero

It's cold outside, folks. When I left for work this morning, it was 27 below zero (That's 32 below, for you people on the Celcius scale). Fortunately, the truck started, though it asked "You're kidding, right," when I first cranked. The sun shines through the window, but it's one of those suns that says, "Truly, I am 93 million miles away today, where it's warmer."

It's cold all over. From Montana to Maine, it's below zero. Add to that the butt-puckering panic over worldwide stock market losses, and you've got a lot of people wandering around, whimpering like the radiation victims in "The Day After." Of course, these are paper losses. No one has come to anyone's house to pull money from piggy banks because the stock markets said whaa. It's not fun, mind you. Getting those end of the year statements showing losses in what paltry stocks my wife and I own was not entertaining. And it's likely to be worse come April. But we still have food. A woodpile to feed the basement fireplace. Gas for the furnace. To quote Gloria Gaynor, "We will survive."

I've been reading a lot about reading this week, mainly in this Frank Smith text for my, uh, which class is it now? Reading Theory and Document Design. A general mish-mash of a title if I've ever heard one. A nugget from this weeks' reading: "Written language (like speech) is transparent -- we look through the actual words for the meaning beyond, and unless there are noticable anomalies of meaning, or unless we have trouble comprehending, we are not aware of the words themselves." Pretty tricky thinking. We like to think we're aware of words, especialy those of us in the trade of wordsmithing. But perhaps, keeping in mind that people use words to get to the meaning behind them, I can become a better technical writer, if not a better blogger.

Just this week we've had a debate here at work on two procedures that I and another tech writer are working. We've spent a good two days tinkering with one step in both procedures, trying to get the wording just right. I tinkered with it a bit yesterday, and thought I had it worked out. Then I took it to our criticality safety guy, whose job it is to ensure that we writers retain the meaning in the words. I struck out. He explained the meaning, and I went back to work. Second time around, the wording got across the meaning intended -- which is good, because it's a pretty important safety requirement we have to meet. What I'ev enjoyed the most about this process the last few days is how collaborative it's been. We've had two people from crit safety, two tech writers and a safety analyst poking and prodding these steps. With each of us taking the meaning we had in our heads, tinkering with words, we were able to come to an agreement on what words to use to get the meaning across. And then I got hit on the head and forgot where I was going.

1 comment:

martin said...

Hi Brian.
On the question of meaning and words, I agree. Some years ago my employers decided they were going to monitor reports based on certain "criteria" most of which boiled down to whether you had mentioned certain key policies or phrases, and then matched the phrases to the conclusion. For complicated reasons it was the first report I had written in a year. It was the only report in my whole career that had been assessed, in any way, as not satisfactory. Strangely it was also one of the few reports in my career where the people who had to use it, just came up to me, uninvited, and spontaneously thanked me for such a helpful and thoughtful report. They had no idea that it had also failed the "tick-test". It's always nice to know that even if you're nuts, there's always some management person or team out there who are even more nuts.
Seems like you pulled off a great job. Must be good to have someone on the team who is sympathetic to the needs of the writers.

By the way, I'd heard it was cold. Can't say how, but if I'd have read your blog earlier I wouldn't have had to sit here with my slide-rule and abacus converting Fahrenheit to a real scale :)
Good luck
Martin