Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bach, Stokowski, Disney

I'm not really sure what "The Music Animation Machine" is, though for some reason it reminds me of the pitiful graphics capabilities of my old Tandy Color Computer 3, object of 1980s scorn and desire.


I do like it, however. I think, however, this version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is a titch on the slow side. Maybe Leopold Stokowski can assist me:


You know, as I watched this on the bus home from work today, I couldn't help but to think that, back then in the 1930s and 40s, Disney was as innovative with music and art and animation as we credit Pixar with being now. "Fantasia" was such an out-on-a-limb bit of music and animation I'm sure many people just didn't know what to think of it. It's certainly a weird bit of animation -- not what you'd really expect from Disney, but that's because Disney had to focus on the animation people expected to keep the studio afloat, which he struggled doing up until his death. "Fantasia" was a bit of art direction he wanted to do just to keep the sanity going. I'm glad he did it.

No comments: