Monday, October 3, 2011

Changing How Journaling Occurs

For a long time, I was a faithful journal writer. Especially through my mission and post-mission college years (and on into the first several years of married life) I wrote almost daily in a personal, private journal, evolving from pasting cut-out comics and pictures onto the physical pages to scanning everything into a computer to add to my typewritten entries.

In the last few years, not so much.

Oh, I have on occasion written a journal entry and categorized it as such, but in the last few years I’ve dropped from daily to, if I’m lucky, biweekly. This year, this bit you’re reading now likely classifies as my first journal entry.

What’s going on?

Embarrassingly, most of it’s going public, not private. And while that’s fine in some cases, in others it’s not because I’m not as inclined to share private thoughts in public – ranging from my blogs to Facebook and Twitter postings – leaving the private thoughts to the wayside.

That, in the words of Radar O’Reilly, is not so nifty.

My posterity can still get a good feel for who I am, I think, from reading my public posts. And given what President Boyd K. Packer said this weekend at conference – that those of us listening will enjoy grandchildren and great-grandchildren without being interrupted by the apocalypse – there’s a good chance there will still be people around reading this drivel after I am dead and rather pungent.

But what of those private thoughts? I’m not willing to post everything online.

So this is where this blog entry stops and the journal entry begins.

No comments: