Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Light Bulb for the Attic!

I've worked on the cleanup side of the Idaho National Laboratory for twelve years now. About eleven of those years was as a subcontractor, which meant when this time of year rolled around and all the company folks were getting their safety bonuses and such, I was getting nothing.

I shouldn't say nothing. My immediate supervisor always gave me a little cash and a gift card to make up for the fact that all subcontractors ever got was the boilerplate "We encourage our subcontractors to give bonuses for excellent work blah blah blah bling bling bling blah."

This year was different.

I won't announce the amount of the bonus, except to say it was larger than I'd anticipated -- a pleasant surprise.

when I announced the news to Michelle, this is the response I got:


Which, of course, is a line from the show "Courage the Cowardly Dog," the whole of which goes like this:


I get a million dollars! And you know what that means! That’s right! New lawn chairs! . . .Fly swatter! Spark plugs! Shovel handle! Razor blade! Light bulb for the attic!

This is our go-to quote whenever something good happens in the money department.

No comments: