Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Ad Blocked? Content FORBIDDEN.

So I run my browsers with an ad blocker. There are some sites I agree to whitelist, but in general the ad blocker is left to do its job.

Facebook, of late, has begun to be a little passive aggressive in dealing with this situation. While I don't know if this is just a new Facebook thing or if it's reacting to my blocker, I don't know. But here's what it's doing:

Facebook loves to throw a lot of sponsored stuff onto my feed. I'm sure I'm not alone. And while I scroll by most of it, occasionally I will linger and read/watch what's being offered because hey, sometimes the sponsored stuff actually works on me. But Facebook plays the video -- it's always a video -- and when it gets to the first (or sometimes second) ad that's part of the whole sponsored content package, it just says, "Well, you've got an ad blocker, so you do not only not get to finish watching this content, we're going to make it disappear from your whatever and then pretend like we never tried to show it to you in the first place."

I appreciate the chutzpah. Still won't whitelist.

Sure, they deserve to make money. But as I am a product for them to monetize, I don't feel bad taking miniscule amounts of ad revenue away from them. Or at least not making it possible for them to collect.

Kinda felt like arguing with this guy:



No comments: